Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hoo (Who) are you trying to be?

Our nature campus walk was a memorable day in colloquium. (This is said in all seriousness, promise.) Colloquium for me is sometimes the hardest part of my week or the highlight of my week in area of classes attended. This week was one of those weeks I did NOT want to be there. I was sick and tired and did NOT want to be sloshing around campus. I did NOT want to walk through water, I did NOT want to be outside, I did NOT want to be stopping to look at animals that I may or may not care about and I really did NOT want to be getting sweaty, smelly and nasty. Even though I did NOT want to do this, I did but it was done with a rotten attitude, a really rotten attitude. After giving myself some distance on thinking about that day and reflecting on it, I have learned about a few things about nature and myself.

First, the lessons on nature. Nature never ceases to give an amazing or breathe-taking view- from the savannah of Africa to the swamp land of Fort Myers- nature sparkles in its own unique way. As we began our walk with a rude awakening of wading through water, it occurred to me that nature adapts. Now, this does not always mean it adapts for the better, but nature adapts to SURVIVE. It may degrade its quality, but at least it is still surviving. At the start of our walk we learned how the entire area used to be a swamp, now only today some of our land is a swamp. Nature has adapted to its new space. As we ventured further into the woods, our group was stopped by an owl. An owl, who ten years ago may not have been confident enough to stick around with a group of twenty-five plus adults walking through the woods, was comfortable chattering away perched above our heads. As we stopped and looked on the owl continued to show off. Another example of how nature had adapted. Much of our colloquium study has focused on how BAD the environment is, but this walk was a testimony of how nature is adapting.

Eating time at the orphan center. Often the children would
bring bowls to get extra large helpings and then take some
home. On this day, they were excited because they were
getting rice, a meal generally reserved for Christmas.
Second, the walk allowed me to reflect on, well, me. Since I have returned home from Africa, I have been struggling with trying to find who I am (hence the title). This summer I was exposed to poverty that as an American, is hard to fathom until you see it. I was exposed to minimal to no healthcare, something we as American's take for granted at times. I was exposed to poor living conditions, something that even our homeless population would find highly unacceptable. My world as I knew it has been shattered. So on the day of our walk, I was in a poor me, feel bad attitude. That day I was struggling with finding joy and happiness and as a result, my attitude was bad. As I was reflecting on how nature adapts, it reminded me that humans adapt too.



Clean water, a luxury in some areas is being
fetched from a well with various materials cut
into strips to make a rope. 
My experiences do not mean that I will adapt and forgot what I saw. My experiences and the testimony nature gives means that I can see life in a different way. A way that has been adapted to my past experiences and present situation. So, hoo (who) are you trying to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment